Subject: CLIMB: Ministry of a Military Chaplain

Sent: 9/8/99 6:30 PM

From: Eric Stefanski, revski@heart.net

To: Confessional Lutherans in Missionary Boldness, CLiMB@CAT41.org

The Rev. John Wohlrabe, Cmdr., USN <chaps@blue-ridge.navy.mil>, had a

problem with posting; please direct your responses to him at

<chaps@blue-ridge.navy.mil>. EJG

From: CDR Wohlrabe <chaps@blue-ridge.navy.mil>

Subject: Ministry of a Military Chaplain

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 06:55:11 +0900

[The Rev. John Wohlrabe, Cmdr., USN <chaps@blue-ridge.navy.mil>, has

graciously consented to help us see how the Lord is working through the

service of our military chaplains, but had a problem with posting; please

direct your responses to him at <chaps@blue-ridge.navy.mil>. EJG]

- - -

In the U.S. Navy, few announcements over a ship's 1-MC (P.A. system) get

as quick a response as that of "Man Down."

On Monday, 23 August 1999, the USS BLUE RIDGE, flag ship for Commander,

SEVENTH FLEET, was pulling out of Puson, Korea, after spending three days

in port. Korean tug boats were assisting the 636 foot, 18,373 ton command

and communication ship to leave the busy port. Back in aft mooring,

fourteen Sailors were doing what they do every time that "sea and anchor"

detail is called. They were working with the lines. A messenger line

(approximately one inch thick) was passed out a chock (a two foot wide by

six inch tall hole in the side of the ship) to a tug, which had pulled up

to the port aft quarter of the ship. Within the BLUE RIDGE, this

messenger line was connected to a much larger line (about five inches

thick), which the tug would use to pull the ship.

Unfortunately, something went terribly wrong. The messenger line was

attached to a wench on the tug, and was then reeled toward the tug.

However, the tug also backed up quickly at the same time, pulling the

messenger line much faster than usual. Inside the aft mooring area of the

USS BLUE RIDGE, the messenger line got wrapped around the right leg of SN

Steven Wright, and before he could free himself he was being pulled

toward the chock. Upon seeing SN Wright dragged along the deck, ENS

Daniel Johnson, the 2nd Division Officer, lunged toward Wright. However,

Johnson's legs also got entwined in the messenger line. Both men were

reaching down, trying to pull their legs free, but before they could free

themselves, the line went completely taut. SN Wright suffered amputation

of his right leg below the knee, and he lost four fingers on his left

hand. ENS Johnson lost both his legs below the knee and his little finger

on his left hand. As the event was taking place, the phone talker in aft

mooring was announcing "man down" to the bridge (the pilot house of the

ship). The pilot house then quickly announced "man down, aft mooring"

over the 1-MC.

I had left the bridge only two minutes before the announcement, walking

aft in the port 2nd deck passageway toward my office, when I heard the

announcement "man down, aft mooring." Immediately, I took off running

down the passageway, then down a ladder to the 3rd deck, and then into

the aft mooring space. I came in right behind the corpsmen. I immediately

saw SN Wright laying on the deck, and I saw he was missing part of one

leg. The corpsmen called for morphine, so I ran back to medical to tell

the doctor of the special need and that it was needed immediately.

Returning back to aft mooring I was praying for the injured shipmate (at

this time, I only knew of one person -- I hadn't seen ENS Johnson yet).

Entering the space, I immediately noticed the people standing about,

screaming or wailing. One female sailor was even flailing about. So,

while the corpsmen were tending to the wounded shipmates, I guided all

the other hysterical eye witnesses from aft mooring up to the ship's

library to get them settled. I then returned to medical, asked our ship's

dentist to go administer sedatives to several of the distraught eye

witnesses, and went back and forth between operating tables, ministering

to ENS Johnson and SN Wright. Both men were alert but in a lot of pain.

They wanted me to pray for them. We also said the Lord's Prayer together.

Both men asked about the other, concerned for the other wounded

shipmate's well-being. Both men discussed how their lives had now

changed; yet, both said that they trusted God would guide them. Both

asked me to call their parents and tell them about their injuries. Once

both men were stabilized, they were carried by stretcher up to the ship's

flight deck and placed on one of our helicopters for medevac. I went with

them into the helicopter and said another prayer at their sides before

they were flown off the ship. They were flown to a Korean hospital in

Pusan, where they were examined, stabilized, placed on an Army

helicopter, and flown to the 121st Army Hospital in Seoul, Korea.

After seeing the helicopter off, I returned to the ship's library where I

began a Critical Incident Stress Debriefing with the eyewitnesses. This

was a very emotional four hour session. However, those who were present

when it happened wanted to begin this session with prayer. During the

session, a second class boatswainmate (bosun) quoted from John 15:13. He

said that ENS Johnson had put his life on the line for them, that the

Ensign wanted them to work together as a team, and that the best thing

they could do now was to do just that -- work together and support one

another. It was also noted that ENS Johnson risked his life without

regard of SN Wright's race, status, or any other consideration. Through

this difficult situation, 2nd division has come together as a stronger,

closer unit.

One of the most difficult tasks I perform as a chaplain is notification

of death or other similar family emergencies (messages come to us through

the Red Cross). Usually, I am notifying servicemembers of something that

happened back home. This time, however, I had to call family members and

notify them of something that had happened to their sons on the ship.

Both parents were understandably shocked by the news. However, both

parents were devout Christians, and they knew that God was going to guide

their sons through this. Through the Navy's Bedside Travel Program, we

were able to make arrangements for the parents to fly to Seoul, Korea to

be with their sons before they were medevaced to Walter Reed Medical

Center.

Each night at sea, at 2155 (9:55 p.m.) I give the evening prayer over the

ship's 1-MC. The following is the prayer for the evening of 23 August

1999:

"Good evening, shipmates: this morning I was with both ENS Johnson and SN

Wright as they were being tended to by our doctors and corpsmen, before

they were flown off the ship. And after saying prayers with each one,

both of them told me that they realized their lives had changed. Things

would never be the same, and they would now be headed in a new direction.

However, in that realization, both of our shipmates expressed hope for

their future. Both men had already begun looking beyond this situation to

what lies ahead. Let us take that into consideration as we hear the words

of Isaiah 40:28-31: 'Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the

everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow

tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives

strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths

grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope

in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like

eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be

faint.'

"We pray: Eternal Father, strong to save, we come before you on behalf of

all those involved in the serious, life-threatening accident that took

place as we were pulling out of Pusan this morning. Especially, we pray

for ENS Dan Johnson and SN Steven Wright. Lord, we know that there are no

guarantees that bad things won't happen in this life. That is an

unfortunate, hard aspect of living in a fallen world. Yet, you promise

that if we do fall, we will not be utterly cast down. You promise to

uphold us with your mighty hand. Uphold ENS Dan Johnson and SN Steven

Wright now and in the days to come. Guide the doctors and the nurses who

are caring for them. We pray for a good outcome for the surgeries that

will take place tomorrow, and we pray that Dan and Steve will soon be

standing firm, taking sure steps, even running again. Please be with

their parents and family members, and grant them consolation during this

time of great concern. For the rest of us, Lord, teach us to appreciate

each moment of life that we have and each shipmate with which we serve.

Prepare us to accept the unexpected and the imperfection of the human

world, including events that are beyond our control; help us look to you

with faith, hope and love in each and every situation, trusting that you

will order our steps, renew our strength and give us courage to move

beyond this situation with hope for the future. This I pray in the

Savior's precious and holy name. Amen.

"May God grant each of you rest and peace this night."

Three days after the accident in Pusan, we pulled back into the Korean

port of Chinhae. I was with the 2nd division crew back in aft mooring as

we pulled into port. Just after the safety brief and before they took

their stations at the lines, the 2nd division crew again asked for

prayer. After the prayer, each Sailor went to his or her place and

carried out his or her duties professionally, without hesitation. I

couldn't help but marvel at their trust in God, their dedication to do

their duty, and the remarkable courage that each displayed. Please

remember that most of these people are between 18 and 21 years old.

After pulling up to the pier in Chinhae, the Commanding Officer and I,

together with three other officers, flew to Seoul, where we visited ENS

Johnson and SN Wright. During the three short days since the accident,

the crew had written cards and letters, made video tapes of everyone in

deck department sending their greetings, and made banners which everyone

signed. I took all of these to Seoul, together with some personal effects

that our wounded shipmates had requested. SN Wright wanted his Play

Station and games. Then, he showed me that he could still play since he

still had his thumb on his left hand :-{) The banners were hung in their

rooms, and they were given the cards, letters, and video tapes. I again

had opportunity to pray with both ENS Johnson and SN Wright. Both men

continued to express their trust in God and their hope for the future.

In case you are wondering, SN Steven Wright is a 20 year old

African-American Baptist from Poplar Bluff, Arkansas. ENS Daniel Johnson

is a 23 year old Scotch Presbyterian (whose Dad is a PCUSA pastor) from

Hickory, North Carolina. Dan is also a graduate of Chapel Hill.

If you are interested in writing these two brave, Christian young men

with words of encouragement, please send your card or letter to:

ENS Daniel Johnson (Patient)

or

SN Steven Wright (Patient)

Walter Reed Army Medical Center

6900 Georgia Ave. NW

Washington, DC 20307-5001

The above account is only part of what I do as a military chaplain. There

are, of course, worship services (Sunday Lutheran Service of Holy

Communion, Sunday General Protestant Service of the Word, and Saturday

evening Vespers), Bible studies, and prayers at special occasions; there

is a lot of daily counseling and delivery of Red Cross messages; there

are administrative duties, running a library, coordinating community

relations projects, and other things as well. However, I thank God that

He has called me to serve Him and my country while ministering to young

men and women during very challenging and difficult periods in their

lives. A day doesn't go by when I do not marvel at how the Lord works,

especially through these difficult and challenging situations. Your

prayers are greatly appreciated.

In Christ,

Chaplain John Wohlrabe

[...]

Division Officer, lunged toward Johnson. However, Johnson's legs also got

entwined in the messenger line. Both men were reaching down, trying to

pull

their legs free, but before they could free themselves, the line went

completely taunt. SN Wright suffered amputation of his right leg below

[...]

+ + + Confessional Lutherans in Missionary Boldness + + +

The CLIMB e-letter brings you unedited, uncut reports directly from the

mission field, whether in South America, Africa, Europe, inner-city,

rural, or collegiate America, or military installations and battle sites

around the world. It is our contention that those who truly hold to the

~Book of Concord~ as the pure exposition of Holy Scripture and the true

confession of the Christian faith are also the most zealous supporters of

the preaching of the Gospel in every corner of the world and, as such,

ought to be kept thoroughly informed of how those endeavors are faring and

shown how they may be rightly carried out without the destruction of

orthodox doctrine and practice that some within the pale of Lutheranism

now advocate.

You may contact the authors of individual posts to this list simply by

using the 'Reply' feature of your email reader. Because of the demands of

their endeavors, there is the possibility that not all responses will be

able to be answered.

You may freely discuss the contents of these columns on other CAT41.org

mail lists AND, (unless otherwise indicated) as long as proper

acknowledgement is provided, you may reprint them for dissemination via

free media. List subscription instructions (found below) should also be

included.

Subscribe? Send any message to: CLIMB-on@CAT41.org